Julian is in demand as a speaker, panellist and facilitator at events. In particular he speaks on topics related to regeneration and sustainable communities; social change and civil society; placemaking and the future of towns and cities.
Examples of recent work include:
- Keynote speech at the International Conference on Cities, People and Places at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, in October 2013
- The keynote speech at the 2013 Mainstreet Australia conference in Melbourne
- A guest lecture on ‘Regeneration with a human face’ for Sheffield University’s Interdisciplinary Centre of the Social Sciences in April 2013
- The keynote address at Belfast City Council’s ‘State of the City’ event in October 2012 [presentation here]
- Chairing Day 1 of Townstock 2012, and leading a walking tour of Halifax town centre
- Organising and facilitating the UK’s first ‘High Street Camp‘, bringing together people interested in rethinking town centres
- Speaking on the future of town centres at events organised by Urban Design London, RUDI, and Architecture + Design Scotland [video here]
- Keynote presentations on the future of regeneration for the Northern Housing Consortium and Chartered Institute of Housing conferences in 2011
- Introducing the idea of JFDI urbanism at the opening workshop for the Orangery Academy
- Chairing the national conference on community land trusts in 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Debating localism at the Centre for Local Economic Strategies’ summer summit
- Keynote presentations on ‘big society’ at events in Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle and London
- Taking part in panel debates on lifetime neighbourhoods; the Liverpool city-region; ‘big society’ and more
- Presentation on heritage-led regeneration and community asset transfer in Stoke-on-Trent
You can find some recent presentations here.
We can also help to organise events for you, bringing together speakers and workshop leaders with a wide range of experience and expertise.