Julian has been asked to speak at numerous events on the future of high streets and town centres, as well as giving evidence to inquiries and facilitating and chairing workshops and conferences. This page contains details of some of them, with links to presentations where relevant.
Events in 2016 – please contact us if you’d like us to be involved in your event or festival
- Symposium in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, on 12 February as part of the Lower High Street project
- Speaking at Cymuned Unol (Community Together) event in Fishguard, Wales, 14 March
- Speaking at A Place to Be, part of the Vital Places event series organised by The Lab in Haverfordwest, 23 March
- Presenting a paper at American Association of Geographers conference, San Francisco, on ‘reclaiming town centres for citizens’
Events in 2015
- Pre-launch talk on How to Save Our Town Centres at Northern Ireland’s Town Centre Futures event, Bangor, 12 February
- Talk at Greater London Authority’s ‘High Street Winners’ workshop, 9 March (video recording here)
- Guest lecture at Bangor University, 13 April
- Workshop at Big Local spring event, Newcastle, 17 April
- Guest lecture at Cardiff University School of Planning and Geography, 28 April (you can view the whole lecture on YouTube here)
- Book launch at Scotland’s Towns Partnership in Edinburgh, 13 May
- Keynote speech at NABMA annual conference, Harrogate, 21 September
- Workshop in Maindee, Newport, 23 September
- Talk at Sheffield’s Off the Shelf book festival, 11 October
- Talk at RTPI event, Sheffield, 21 October
- Talk at Bishopsgate Institute, London, 24 November
Events in 2014
- Keynote speech at the Wales Regeneration Summit, October 2014
- Guest lectures at Sheffield University Department of Town and Regional Planning, October 2014, and Sheffield Hallam University, November 2014
- Keynote at the Future High Streets conference, March 2014
Julian was also the speaker and facilitator at Sheffield Society of Architects’ event on Sheffield’s New Retail Quarter and panellist at a Sheffield University event on the future of town centres.
Events in 2013
November 2013: Delivered Cheshire Society of Architects lecture on ‘the new historic city’.
November 2013: Discussion facilitator at Towns Alive annual conference, Congleton.
October 2013: Speaker on ‘sustainable business models for town teams’ at Association of Town and City Management ‘World Café of Ideas’.
July 2013: Keynote speaker for Royal Town Planning Institute event, ‘What next for retail?’, Sheffield Hallam University.
May 2013 – January 2014: Advisory panel member for the Royal Society of Arts’ Future Retail project.
April 2013: Knowledge exchange on the dynamics of town centre change, in partnership with AMT Towns Alive
February 2013: Webinar for Association of Town and City Management, ‘From “me” towns to “we” towns’. Recording available here.
February 2013: Digitizing the High Street – chairing and facilitating event for Sheffield Community Network
Selected events in 2012
November: Built Environment Forum Scotland annual congress, Linlithgow. Keynote on “From ‘me’ towns to ‘we’ towns”
November: Townstock, Halifax. Chaired opening day and led walking tour. Co-produced Townstock 2012 publication, featuring 80 ideas from 50 towns
October: Keynote speaker at State of the City event, Belfast. Presentation on “Breathing life back into our cities”
September: Panellist at Make:Shift, Wolverhampton
June: Panellist at Local Government Association annual conference
June: Speaker at High Street Revival event, Manchester. Presentation on “People powered high streets”
May: Coordinated High Street Camp, in partnership with the organisations that produced the 21st Century Agora paper.
February: Speaker at Imagining Alternative High Street Futures, Glasgow. Presentation on “20 things you could do in the high street without shopping”. Video link here
February: Speaker at Urban Design London ‘leaders’ briefing’ for councillors and senior officers. Presentation: “Ten questions every town team should ask”